Thursday 18 August 2011

The Answer Deck Arrives!


Today, my newest deck arrived: Nicky Zann's Answer Deck!

The 73-card deck comes in a boxed kit, with an instruction booklet and foldout mat for placing the cards. The booklet explains only the cards that the creator felt were not obvious enough: The Master, The Fool, Woman of The World, The Lady and The Troubleshooter. Anyone with Tarot experience will quickly realise the meanings of these cards correspond roughly to The Emperor, The Fool, The High Priestess, The Empress and The Magician.

The cards are red-bordered, with black and white illustrations. Along with the Tarot inspired cards - ones like Justice, and Strength, but also simplified Court Cards like the Fair/Gray Haired Woman - the deck uses cards with simple pictures and keywords, such as Doubt, or Journey.

When arranging the cards, I had a bit of a weird experience. I wanted to get a nice shot of them, so I could show the deck on this site. Anyway, I shuffled them, selected three at random, set them down and spread the other cards in a fan above. I thought it would make a nice photo for the blog.

Then I looked at which three cards I had drawn, and since this was my first interaction with the deck, I have to admit I shivered:



Dark Haired Woman/ Journey/ Truth! Weird, right? I will be very interested to see whether this is a fluke, or a sign of things to come from the Answer Deck...


No comments: