Wednesday 28 September 2011

Featured Deck: The Hallowe'en Tarot by Kipling West

Now, this is the reason I haven't  posted in a while - The Hallowe'en Deck, by Kipling West. It has absolutely stolen my heart, and I've been off in my own little world with this wonderful deck.


 
In the Hallowe'en deck, the four usual suits of Wands, Cups, Swords and Pentacles are replaced with Imps, Ghosts, Bats and Pumpkins. While this may seem like a cute gimmick from the outside, with Major Arcana cards represented by, among others, mummies, werewolves and even Frankenstein's Monster, the level of research and attention to detail in this set quickly becomes apparent.


A lot of the artwork is directly inspired by the original Rider-Waite deck, and where the cards differ, this serves only to enhance the overall meaning of the cards. Previously 'difficult' cards such as the 3 of Bats/Swords and the  of Pumpkins/Pentacles take on a new, more thoughtful light - the feeling of doom and gloom is not gone, but the cards are imbued with a fresh sense of possibility, and potential for change.

With Hallowe'en right around the corner, these cards are an excellent way to celebrate the season - and also allow us to carry a little of the holiday with us, all year round.

Midnight Meadow Score:

Style: 10/10
Substance: 10/10


2 comments:

Magic Mentha said...

These are a lot of fun, aren't they?

I like the depictions and the old-fashioned feel.

I have a question: why isn't Halloween celebrated that much in the UK?

I hope you have a happy day. :)

Hugs,
MM

Beth said...

I have no idea! It is actually a bit of a bugbear of mine - it is my favourite holiday, and I wish it were celebrated here to the extent it is in the States.

I've already decided that when my partner and I have children, Hallowe'en will be a BIG deal in our house!

Blessings,

Beth
-x-